Intermittent Bluetooth Disconnection

Issue description:

I’ve had this issue for many months but have been unable to replicate it until now.

Audio will randomly stop when on Bluetooth. Phone will be either locked in my pocket (frustrating when on a motorbike!), or isolated on a table.

Pressing play/pause/forward in Symfonium is still functional but no audio is heard. Symfonium must restarted for audio to continue. I originally thought it was my phone, but other audio applications continue to work.

Logs:

debug-20230501_100602.zip

Sorry the logs are so big, but I’ve been trying to trap this error for a while.

Screenshots:

Not really required?

Additional information:

Can’t access the log file.

Check you playback settings, if you do not use internal decoder enable it as a first test (Or the opposite)

My fault. I deleted the logs, but they’re available again. Size is 14MB but being told it’s too big to upload here.

I have turned on “Prefer internal decoder”.

Cheers

I still can’t access that file without an account. Put them on a proper place or send by mail.

Hey Tolriq,

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApM7Vbz-GqnLohYklGDAVm3ISS1I?e=Zr4pAE

I have tested in Incognito and can access the file, so you should be okay now.

Thanks

Yes I get it.

So the logs is very large but there’s no error or anything, if you were not using internal decoder before maybe it was some specific media that triggered a phone bug.

Let’s hope the internal decoder fix this, but I have no idea;

No, still the same. FYI - Android Auto seems to be fine.

Is it possible that this can be inadvertently triggered by switches between wi-fi, bluetooth?

Does your debug track these changes?

The log tracks wifi changes but I doubt this is that.

This really sounds like a BT issue on your phone, restarting the app (or reseting the player by changing some settings or casting) just triggers a restart of the AudioTrack and your phone probably start using the proper BT path again.

Hi Tolriq,

I purchased a USB-C to 3.5mm jack cable to remove bluetooth from the equation. I still get intermittent pauses in music, and sometimes stops completely.

The attached log covers a period when the audio pauses. “Tom Waits - Big Black Mariah” paused and restarted a number of times.

Hope this helps.
debug-20230511_222641.zip (1.9 MB)

Well in the logs I see that the OS sends a lot of headset plug / unplug events.

Uncheck headphone auto play in the settings so that the app stops doing the play pause stuff. But this is not normal that the OS sends those events so it might still have some other issues happening outside of control of the app is Android change it’s routes or do other things internally on those events.

Hi Tolriq,

Sorry to bring this topic back from the dead, but I still experience some strange Bluetooth issues. I will try to catch the behaviour via debug logs, but in the interim:

• using Symfonium via Bluetooth in a car
  • Playback is paused when car is stopped
  • car is started again, but Symfonium plays via phone speaker
  • I must either:
    • kill Symfonium and restart
    • use another audio app (dSub, Podcast Addict) for Bluetooth to work again

As usual, this doesn’t always happen, but wondering if there’s anything I can do to help isolate the issue.

Thanks

Without logs I can’t guess anything.

Try to disable Prefer internal decoder as I have one report that it might affect BT on some devices.

Hi Tolriq,

I have been finally able to catch Symfonium doing strange things with bluetooth.

As suggested, I turned off “Prefer internal decoder” but the problem still persists. I accept that this is probably a Pixel specific issue, but no other app I’ve tried (Tempo, dSub, Podcast Addict) has this behaviour.

The problem also seems to have got worse. Together with the log:

• started smart playlist by dragging to “Shuffle”
  • stream to ChromeCast
  • make coffee :wink:
  • stop streaming to ChromeCast (using local device)
  • walk to car (also moving out of WiFi range)
  • audio plays for 1 second via bluetooth, switches to phone speaker
  • switch to dSub, uses bluetooth
  • switch to Podcast Addict, uses bluetooth
  • switch to Symfonium, uses phone speaker
  • turn off bluetooth
  • turn on bluetooth
  • same problem

debug-20231205_093846.zip (15.3 KB)

The logs does not show much.

Where you already connected to BT before ending the Chromecast streaming?

And how do you stop casting to Chromecast?

BT was not connected to any other device.

Play on “Local device” is how I stop Chromecast casting

I asked if BT was connected to the phone not connected to something else.

And the logs does not show the switch to local player it stops at playing on Chromecast.

Just want to say, I’m having exact same behaviour sometimes. I’m on a Google pixel. “Prefer internal decoder” was switched on, so turned that setting off now. Will evaluate for e few days.

I need proper logs too then :slight_smile: