I have cached my entire collection on my phone, but when the server is unreachable for any reason (e.g. I’m not on my home WiFi) the album art images are not available. The music is available, so I can scroll through lists, select albums & tracks, play them, etc., but the images don’t show up. They’re not displayed in lists, album view, or the now-playing screen. A few images seem to be cached from the last time I was online, but only a very small number.
The logs is effectively nearly empty you need to use the app and scroll / do things to reproduce image loading.
Image are cached when you see them, to auto cache all the images you need to enable the option on your provider settings.
99% of the time missing images are caused by “optimizer” tools that clear other apps cache directory.
I previously did some scrolling, but clearly not enough. Here’s a new logfile that’s got a lot of activity, including many image fetch attempts. Here’s what I did:
Started a sync
Turned on debug
Waited until sync was done
Scrolled thru Recent Albums
Turned on Airplane Mode
Scrolled thru Random Albums
Turned off Airplane Mode
Scrolled thru Last Played Albums (but it took ~10s for WiFi to re-connect, so the initial part of this was still disconnected)
Turned off debug
In my provider settings I have Automatic image cache, Automatic media offline cache and Compatiblity mode turned on. Looking in Android/data/app.symfonik.music.player/files/OfflineMedias there are 19,251 files for 149.8 GB; looks like that’s all *.mp3. In Android/data/app.symfonik.music.player/cache/images there are 1002 files for 94.5 MB, all *.jpg` (I’ve got ~2500 albums, so that’s not enough images to cover all of them).
I checked, and the image cache was at 576 files. I suspect that either:
The provider image cache setting wasn’t actually on (despite the toggle showing it on)
Symfonium isn’t proactively downloading & caching the images, but only loading them as they’re needed (e.g. when scrolling)
I turned off the image & media cache settings for the provider, hit “update”, then turned them back on. The I spent four or five minutes slowly scrolling through all 2800+ albums, and then the cache was at 2936 files.
I don’t (knowingly) have any cache-clearing SW. I dug through system settings and didn’t find anything suspicious.
I ran various other apps for a while to generate some cache pressure on the phone. I closed Symfonium and flicked it away in the app-switcher. Ran some more apps. Toggled Airplane Mode a few times. Still 2936 files.
I’m glad there’s some resolution to this. I’ve switched to keeping my music as local files on the phone, so the issue won’t affect me any more. I wanted to get the bug reported before i switched.
I made the switch because I realized the only reason I was running an AirSonic server and dealing with all of its foibles was to get my music to the phone, and I could do a better job of that with Syncthing. Now I don’t have to worry about AirSonic imposing its ideas about album structure, genres, and the like.
As shown in the previous screenshots this is not a Symfonium bug, this is an OS bug.
The “fix” is that I’ll add an option to store the images in the same folder as the offline files so it’s not deleted when OS wrongly decide that app cache should be cleared.
Anyway yes local parser from Symfonium when using SAF mode is a lot more powerful that what the current Subsonic API support. But you need proper tags and Symfonium has no vocation of being a tag editor.