Add "Radio" button to play similar artists music

A big feature I used in the app I used to use was a “Radio” feature which was found under artists and quickly added a bunch of tracks to the now playing queue that were similar to the artist. I also believe it put some weight on selecting tracks that were top tracks from the artist songs it selects.

I used this all the time and was by far the best option offered at least to me and would be great if something similar could be setup.

Thank you!

As for the other request, media providers does not expose enough data to be able to build something that match the similar concept. It requires many parameters to be similar.

With that said I’ll probably add some kind of automatic radio to play after the last song based on the artist and song genre for those who like continuous play so this could be extended to be started from an artist.

But do not expect a similar quality to something that PlexAmp can provide.

1 Like

+1 for this feature, I used to use it in the original Plex app all the time. I know the “Artist” radio is based on similar artists tag in Plex because I quite frequently edit the tags to get what I want from the radio. Seems like a relatively simple algorithm that also involves popularity on last.fm. Basically, it seems to take the popularity from last.fm for songs and use this as a weighting to pick a random song based on the similar artists tag; this way you get a real “Radio”, where more popular songs are more heavily rotated.

I would be perfectly happy if it was implemented only for Plex servers, but it does require that you have access to the similar artists tag, not sure if that’s possible.

Not possible due to how Symfonium works (Multi provider, offline first).

There’s already instant mixes, that are smart mixes based on your preferences for the artists. (The global filter is applied by genre, but then there’s many filtering / weighting to ensure a pleasant experiences, with enough loved songs while still having new content and never get 2 times the same thing).
The more you listen / rate things the more relevant the mixes Symfonium provides are.

OK, thanks, I’ll try to rate some artists and play with instant mixes to see what happens.

I’m currently using a work-around which seems to work reasonably well; I just use the plex web client to start an artist radio, then jump to the end a few times until it has generated about 100 songs, and then save that as a permanent mix and import it to Symfonium. When the playlist gets to the end, I’ll just trash it from the web client and build it again and re-import it. Not completely seamless, but it works

1 Like

Only songs user ratings matters.

But even with just enough play count it will generate playlist that you might already like.