Add automatic cache of songs while they play

When using a media server like Emby, I noticed that we can setup an automatic cache of the whole library to be downloaded at once but, what I would like to have is an automatic cache of songs every time they are marked as played, or in other words, when I start to play a song it should be downloaded to the cache automatically as soon as it’s marked as played by the app.

I set the app to mark songs as played after they reach the 50%, so at that moment the app should start downloading the song to the chache, if I stop playback before that 50% the app should not download the song to the chache.

Also, if a song was downloaded with a lower quality while using mobile data for example, the app must redownload the song again to the highest quality available in the server, all this of course depends on the quality selected in the app for WiFi and mobile data.

No template, already explained in the forum a few times, you can achieve that with smart playlists and auto cache.

Please make some effort to read first and respect the template …

I don’t use that often, I usually shuffle songs and that’s it, but having a cache of every song I play when it reaches the played mark would be useful.

Can you show me how to setup auto cache?

If with auto cache you mean to download the whole library then that is not what I want.

CAN YOU PLEASE START READING WHAT I WRITE?

A simple search would have given you an answer and shown that this is a duplicate …

That’s not what I want, thank you anyway for your attention and prompt replies.

OMG …

This is exactly what you want … Seriously make just the minimum effort …

You create a smart playlist of played files, you enable auto cache on it and you have auto cache of played files.

I was more interested in having the song cached just by playing it anywhere in the app and not only from a smart playlist.

Thank you for your attention, I really love the app, I just hope you can implement USB DAC support in Android 14 in a not so distant future…

Seriously you are killing me … Take 10 seconds to read, it won’t hurt …

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IT DOES … YOU CAN PLAY FROM ANYWHERE … THE PLAYLIST IS JUST HERE TO AUTO DOWNLOAD … EVERYTHING IS EXPLAINED IN THE THREAD I GAVE YOU …

All I see in that post is that you talk about smart playlists, I don’t see anywhere how to set up what I want.

Sorry but I don’t feel I’m missing something there

Really?
Or so I’ll try to talk to you like a baby …

You go to playlist, you click create song smart playlist, you add filter playcount > 0, you add limit 100, you add sort by lastplayed, you save, you click 3 dots you press Enable auto offline cache.

And ho a fucking miracle you have all your played media automatically offline cached …

So yes you are missing the obvious here, seriously last time : Take 10 second to read and try to understand what is explained instead of instant answering that you know better and that I do not understand what you want …

You are talking about creating an smart playlist and that is not what I want, I was more like looking for an option in the server settings where I could turn ON and OFF an automatic cache of songs, similar to the other option to cache multimedia images which is OFF by default.

There is already an option to cache the whole librare when in disconnected from the server but that’s not the idea either, I don’t want to download the whole library because of lack of space but at least to set a mininum cache which I already did but to cache all song marked as played without having to create smart playlists.

Ok so this is a fucking joke, hidden camera?

I’m sorry but either you are trying to piss me off or you are really dumb at this point I’m no more able to decide …

So what do you not understand in what I write?

You want me do make a nice drawing explaning how this works?

1. You create a smart playlist that contains all your last played songs and is automatically instantly updated when a song is played.
  2. You enable automatic offline cache on that playlist.

WHAT THE FUCK DO THINK WILL HAPPEN?
You play a song, it’s magically added in the playlist, the auto offline cache triggers and FUCKING MIRACLE the song is offline cached.

Let me read again your need:

• I want the played song to be automatically cached.

Let me read again the solution:

• The played songs are automatically cached.

WTF BUT BUT BUT THIS IS THE SAME NO?

So now I’ll stop answering and I’ve just lost 30 minutes on a Sunday trying to help someone to read, but seems it’s too hard for me. …

Calm down,

There is no need to get mad or swear because you think I don’t understand what you say which I do but I don’t want to create smart playlists.

My request is simple:

Just add an automatic cache of songs toggle below, that’s all, if you can’t or if you don’t want to do it then that’s OK, I can’t force you to do anything you don’t want:

Take into account that the third option downloads the whole library and that is not the idea either, that’s why I have it OFF:

Thank you.

So you do not want to do 4 clicks to do something that you can tweak to exactly your need?
But you want me to add a toggle somewhere that will do EXACTLY THE SAME THING, but with hardcoded values that will not fit your need?

Your need is 100% covered with the smart playlist, you do not have to use it, it does exactly what you want in the way you want.

So no I won’t add a feature that is already present … Specially after all the time lost here and not even filling the template …

So again : YOUR NEED IS ALREADY HERE, IT’S 4 CLICKS INSTEAD OF A TOGGLE BUT YOU HAVE FULL CONTROL OF THE PARAMETERS … OMG 4 CLICKS I REFUSE TO DO THAT, YOU NEED TO WRITE SOMETHING JUST FOR ME BECAUSE I REFUSE TO USE THE THING THAT FIT MY NEEDS, I WANT THE SAME THING BUT IN DOUBLE BECAUSE WHY NOT …

Thank you anyway.

I can’t force you to add the toggle but you can’t force me to use something I don’t like either.

Have a nice sunday.

Lol yes I can’t force you to use the solution to your problem …

You are in front of a door and want it to open by a very specific voice command, and refuse to have to create the voice command yourself that would perfectly fit your need, instead of a generic hard to pronounce sentence.

So you’ll stay in front of the door until the end of time blaming the door maker for not supporting a generic voice command because you absolutely refuse to create your own.

This was a surprisingly entertaining reading experience.

I’m still hoping for an option to cache the entire next song in the queue before it starts playing and deleting it from the device after it’s done playing so that maybe at one point a wavebar would become possible (I really love wavebars).

But caching what’s already played is really trivial to configure with a smart playlist like you described multiple times.

1 Like

Hey
While this is solveable by using Smart Playlists I do believe that this should also be a toggle. The reason I say this is because I spent too much time sorting it out myself and I can’t imagine someone like my mom figuring this out at all. As someone who hasn’t ever used a smart playlist in any app this is what I did:

1. Create Smart Playlist
  2. Add rule
  3. Select “Play count”
  4. Select “greater than” and type in 0 in the “Filter value box” and press “Save”
  5. Add your provider by presssing the “Add” button on the bottom and pick the provider(s) that you use
  6. Press save
  7. Find the Smart Playlist
  8. Press the three veritcal dots in the Smart playlist “box” and press “Enable auto offline cache”

Or just import default smart playlists then enable auto cache on the recently played one.

Most people don’t need this and just enabling playback cache in the settings would fit their need and have limits.

A simple check box would have too many people not understand that there’s no limit and auto purge on this and so would fill the phone memory with time.

Current solution is simple enough yet safe enough to force people to understand what they are doing.

Have bad ratings because people enable the full offline cache of provider then complain it does exactly that …