Intuitively ready to play afer selection

Feature description

See video

The problem is if you press Enter or OK when you have selected an album, the app opens the album view, but the button that is now selected is the button to RETURN to the previous page instead of continuing to do what you were trying to do.

Problem solved

If you have chosen an album, it is very likely that most commonly you’d be wanting to play it… or at least that is more likely than you wanting to return to the page you just navigated from. The feature is very small, to have the PLAY button as the actively selected highlighted button so one more Enter/OK press, and you play the album

Brought benefits

The benefit is much quicker to play the album you chose instead of having to navigate more.

Device type

Android TV

I searched existing feature requests

on

Here is the same issue when selecting a playlist, then pressing OK or Enter, it does not highlight the play button but highlights the button to return away from where you navigated to… which seems counter-intuitive to me…

The Back-button you’re clashing with can be hidden from all pages, which basically solves your problem.

There are a few settings to check:

  1. Settings → Interface → Media lists → Hide back buttons in lists
  2. Settings → Interface → (Album / Artist / etc.) page → Hide Back button

With the Back button hidden, the app should now focus the first button on the Button Bar–which, in most cases, should be the Play button.

Basically every TV remote has a physical Back button on it already, so you really don’t need the on-screen ones. It’s just a small thing from the phone UI that might need adjusting for TV layouts.

Hi, thank you, but unfortunately that does not work. I went to settings and removed back button from those two places as well as a couple of others and the back button is still there in the playlist screen.

I just double-checked on the latest TV build. After toggling all the settings I said, the only place I see a visible Back button is in the app settings.

Just to be clear: are you seeing the back button on…

  1. the list of playlists?

If so, double check the setting at:

Settings → Interface → Media lists → Hide back button in lists

The toggle should be enabled


  1. or the track list, after you open a playlist?

If so, double check the setting at:

Settings → Interface → Playlist page → Hide back button

The toggle should be enabled


As you can see in my screenshots, the button can be successfully hidden in both screens.

1 Like

H, thanks for the responses. i I have just tried that and removed the back button on the playlist page, which does remove it, but when choosing the playlist you want to play and pressing the enter button, and then pressing enter again, it defaults to returning to the home page rather than playing the playlist you have just chosen.

Tx

Mark

I can show you a video if you like, I’ve recorded one but cannot attach it here.

That’s strange. For me, when I open a playlist (or anything else) the highlight is immediately on the Play button. Pressing Enter again begins playing the media, just like you want it to.

You can send me a link to the video if you want. Though it would be more useful if you are able to send me a copy of your Application Style itself. That would let me play with your UI setup directly and try to find the issue.

You can save the style in Settings → Interface → Save (at the top), then “Change style” and select the Export button. Assuming you have a way to transfer the file from your TV, you can then post that JSON file here on the forum.

As a side note, for the part in your last video where you talk about the playlist starting over from the beginning each time:

Yes the playlist screen does not remember where you left off in the list. If you want to resume from where you were, you actually want to look for the Queues menu.

You can add the Queues button to the app’s Home Page shortcut buttons or to your Now Playing screen.

This menu will list the last 15 play-sessions you have started. Clicking any of them will resume the session exactly where you left off. (After 15 queues, the oldest ones will be removed for new ones.)

I’m really sorry I thought I responded to this a couple of days ago when I did this video.

When I tried to save the style it does not function none of the options for sharing actually work.

Here are a couple of videos I hope they are visible to you on your system…

Default action:

Saved style cannot be shared:

No worries and thanks for the videos.


I noticed your videos all try this with the same playlist. Have you tried this with a smaller playlist?

Since your “whole library” playlist is so big, the track list takes a while to load. I wonder if that is the issue itself. Maybe the Play button isn’t being highlighted simply because the page is still loading?

Does the same thing happen with smaller playlists too? Your “Chilled Dinner” playlist should be small enough to check with. ~500 tracks is reasonable, ~26k is a lot :laughing:

Similarly, try opening your “whole library” playlist and waiting for the track list to finish loading before you press anything. Once the list appears, wait maybe another 2 seconds and then go ahead and push your remote’s OK button. Does it still go back to the last screen, or does it begin playing the list?

The playlists I have been trying are much smaller than yours. On mine, the track lists load pretty much instantly, which might be why the selection works properly for me.


If the Share menu doesn’t work, you can also get to the file from

Settings → Manage Generated Files

You should see the “as-mark… .json” file near the top of the list. Clicking the little download button for that item will save the file directly to your TV’s “Download” folder. (At least I think it will lol. That’s how it works on phones, at least.)

Hi again I have just done another little video it seems this smaller playlist didn’t make any difference…

I have managed to get the style transferred to my computer but I’m not at my computer right now, and have no way of transferring it to my phone from my Google TV device… I will upload that a bit later…

as-mark style -20261004_180438-symfonium.json (83.0 KB)

Hi, here it is…

Thanks!

1 Like

Ok cool, I had to jump through some hoops but I think I figured it out lol.

I suspect you’re still on an old app version. If you go to: Settings → About, what version does it show you are on?

On the latest version (which is 15.1.0 TV (227812) ) I tried a bunch of things but was unable to reproduce your issue. Then I got the idea to look for an older version… I installed version 13.5.0 TV (227576) and it behaves exactly like your videos.

So yeah, it seems like this has already been fixed in the newer app versions.


I don’t know what the latest version available on the Play Store is right now, but you can also see Changelog for the latest release. Follow the links and read any warnings before installing.

Or you can just wait for Play Store to eventually release the update.

Either way, updating the app should fix your issue.

Here’s a quick video of it working on v15.1.0:
Ready to Play

1 Like

Hi, great, and thanks for the excellent response. I’ll wait for the next version, at the moment Play Store doesn’t have a newer version. :star::folded_hands:t2: