Embedded lyrics shadowns external lyrics

Issue description:

If there are both embedded lyrics and external lyrics from getLyricsBySongId, the embedded lyrics will be shown. Could you add an option to prioritize the lyrics from getLyricsBySongId since embedded lyrics are usually unsynced.

If I turn on transcoding, which will remove all the tags inside the media files, the lyrics from getLyricsBySongId will be shown correctly.

Logs:

Upload description: kq0090b8wrkt8ovh

Additional information:

The screenshot 1 is the raw version of the song.

The screenshot 2 is the transcoded version of the same song.

Reproduction steps:

Get an OpenSubsonic server that support getLyricsBySongId with synced lyrics and open a song that has both synced lyrics and embedded unsyned lyrics.

Media provider:

Subsonic

Symfonium version:

Screenshots:

Unfortunately this is not a simple change for performance and battery usage when lyrics are available without extra calls they are always prioritized.

Why have bad tags and proper external data, and not just good tag or good external data ?

In the description of getLyricsBySongId, it says many versions of lyrics can be returned and they can come from anywhere (embedded tags, lrc file or even fetch from some apis). So I’m expecting that the getLyricsBySongId to act as the only source of trust, Symfonium completely ignores embedded tags and has an option to let users choose which version of lyrics to show (could be based on language/description).

Right now the only way to get the lyrics from Opensubsonic shown is to clear the embedded lyrics which is not quite intuitive IMHO. What do you think about it ?

I understand the performance and battery usage concern but I think an option with a warning is a safe choice.

I do participate of the writing of OS specs you know :slight_smile:

Anyway there’s not just Subsonic that I support, as said this is not a simple change. Don’t know yet how and when I can tacle this.

I do participate of the writing of OS specs you know :slight_smile:

Yeah thank you for putting everything together. Great efforts there :laughing:

Anyway there’s not just Subsonic that I support, as said this is not a simple change. Don’t know yet how and when I can tacle this.

No problems. This is just a suggestion and I am already happy with the current state of Symfonium.

If you do decide that you want to stick with embedded or external lyrics only, there are multiple solutions for both batch exporting lyrics to .txt/.lrc files and also batch importing .lrc and .txt files to tags in the mp3tag forum.
This discussion for example links to a few possible ways to tackle either problem (exporting/importing).

Personally I tend to clear all embedded lyrics and manually save synced lyrics while playing when they are actually in sync (usually with this MusicBee Plugin which can fetch synced and unsynced lyrics from various sources.
I simply cba to bother with embedded and external lyrics at the same time, wondering which will take precedence over the other in which software so only having external lyrics is easier for me to manage.

2 Likes

Thank you! Will check it out