Cache and Download loactions

From what I understand there are 2 ways to download music to the device:

• Offline cache (saves it to Android/data, i think)
  • Download to the downloads folder (which can be used to quickly save music and to send to other people, for example)

One use case that some people have, including myself is to use and external player and a dedicated app for syncing. (This is not a complain about the built in player, but a matter of preference and habit).

The issue with symfonium is that other apps can’t access Android/data so cached music can’t be accessed by other apps (they can access Android/media though, and some subsonic compatible apps do that for that reason) and using the download folder works but the music can’t be managed like the cached music (for example deleting albums without using an external file browser).

My suggestion would be to move the cache folder to Android/media/symfonium (for example) or give an option to do that.

Thank you!

This won’t happen thanks to Google trying to prevent us to use the file system as we want.

And this completely breaks the integration, you loose resume points, playcounts, playlists and everything synced back to your server by not using Symfonium to play those cached files.

The real question is really what is preventing you from using the app for the playback?

1 Like

This won’t happen thanks to Google trying to prevent us to use the file system as we want.

I see. That’s a shame.

The real question is really what is preventing you from using the app for the playback?

Well, it’s like I said, I’m used to use an external player I purchased a while back and I’m not to concerned about playcounts, resume points and etc.
My workflow used to be based on subsonic and since most subsonic compatible apps aren’t well featured for playback, I got used to have one for sync and my main player for playback. But since google is starting to break the sync on subsonic apps too, I moved to Yatse.
But is anything preventing me from using the app for playback? No, and I am going to start using it alongside yatse but for music.

Thank you for the reply!

Do not hesitate to request missing features from the player you are used to.

And I’m looking into subsonic API so I may even directly support it too.

1 Like