Add auto-sync for local media library

Feature description:

Symfonium would need auto-sync for local media library (triggered by file addition or file change (tags)).

Problem solved:

I’m using Syncthing to share my ~100GB OPUS256 audio media library between devices. So everything is automatic except Symfonum which require manual sync each time I add an album or change a tag.

Brought benefits:

Auto-sync is a must have feature for any modern media player.

Other application solutions:

Poweramp does auto-sync.
Seems that Poweramp is not using SAF , but is using its custom parser on standard Android Media Scanner.

Additional description and context:

not needed

Screenshots / Mockup:

not needed

So again as explained this is not possible with SAF … The API just does not allow that.

Next version have a toggle to scan at start of the app in SAF mode.

But as also explained if you want the same mode as Poweramp use the same mode?

Add local device with Android media scanner and Symfonium custom parser and it will auto sync.

All is explained in the doc .

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I know that using Android default scanner solves the autosync problem.

The reason why I use Symfonium scanner is because its the only way I found to correctly handle multiple genres (double quote separated). When using Android scanner, even with Symfonium parser : multiple genres are not processed, as well as some other tags.

Poweramp doesnt have this problem.

There should be no difference. Open an issue about your issue then … Logs details files to reproduce.

Hi,

I was wrong :

1. switching to “Android Media scanner + Symfonium parser” doesn’t fix the auto-sync problem : I still have to sync manually.
  2. and it seems that the multi-genre parsing problem is fixed since the last time I tried setting Android scanner + Symfonium parser (~ 3 months ago).

I have a debug of the database initialization (scanning + parsing)

debug.log (5.3 MB)

And yes Android Media Scanner fix your issue, on app start from kill a check is made and sync run if there’s changes.

If you want faster sync you press the sync button yes. Data integrity and performance matters.

I’m also using Syncthing and SAF, and I solved the auto-sync issue by using the Automate app. Gets the job done without any drama.

sync-symfonium.zip (336 Bytes)

I have the workaround finished for Tasker also, if anyone needs it.

why a workaround ? this has to be implemented on the player side. It’s a must have and ultra-basic feature.

Fatiguant …
Ça y en a pas possible. Toi utiliser option sync au démarrage…

Else using Poweramp can be a revelation :slight_smile: Ca yen a etre magique.

Comme le disait Arthur Clarcke : toute technologie suffisament avancée est indiscernable de la magie :slight_smile:

And again no it does not use SAF …
I already explained all that multiple times and why there’s the option. So keep believing you know better this won’t change facts.
So check the option or use the API to sync when wanted.

why bothering with SAF… when any Android dev I talked with about it told me it’s one of the most famous piece of shit (with a few other things like SystemD…) …

Because there’s no choice …
Ask Google why they made that stupid change not me.

Only way to list all files that Android does not support on recent OS.

Hi,

There seems to be a solution for realtime sync with the local media database : OTO Music does this. And because it’s a very recent app I guess it uses the latest Google media API. Also : OTO is very low in battery consumption.

Just my 2 cents

EDIT: The fix was to pass EXTRA correctly – it needed to be PROVIDER_ID:3

Can anyone share how to make “MEDIA_SYNC” work in Tasker? I added what I thought is the right package/class/action for the intent and also set the EXTRA to 3 for syncing that entry that I got from the media providers list, but when I run it nothing happens.

Open your own issue with logs, the extra needs to be named “PROVIDER_ID” and be of type int.

1 Like

I do it in a more rudimentary fashion with Tasker by just using AutoInput.

I just have a shortcut to that task, and run it when I change my music library