I’m racking my brain over how to group a multitude of different projects like with brother Klayton. The goal is to be able to fetch all his works in the UIs of both Navidrome and Symfonium. However this Klayton Man is so prolific and he managed to produce or participate in many “bands”. What tags do you think is reasonable to use to get the job done? Would you please share your approaches folks?
I don’t use Navidrome so hopefully someone else can chime in about that side.
Did a brief search for Klayton. For my library, I think I’d probably use a combination of Performing Artist and Composer to tag his stuff. Perf. Artist for anything where he sings or plays a main instrument, and Composer for anything else.
For my library I use Album Artist to hold the main group name. So if a release were credited to “Some Band (feat. Klayton),” I would tag that as:
Album Artist: Some Band
Artist: Some Band//Klayton
This way Symfonium attributes the track to both artists. (Note that Artist is entered as multi-value, however your tag editor handles that.) If he has any direct releases, then tag Klayton as both Album Artist and Performing Artist.
Assuming you have the “Appears on” section enabled: Klayton’s artist page in Symfonium should immediately show all tracks where Klayton is tagged as Album Artist or Performing Artist. Toggling the Composer button will instead show only the tracks where they are tagged as Composer.
The alternative, if I didn’t want to mess with my artist fields, would be to use GROUPING or TRACK_TAGS fields. You can enter any value you want here, like has artist: Klayton and Symfonium can then filter based on that.
Groupings can be shown in Symfonium’s Album page to easily tap and bring up every Album with that tag. (Hard to tell which track has which grouping on this page though.) Track tags are not as exposed, so you will need to use a Smart Filter on the Tracks page. (Groupings are accessible via Smart Filter too.)
This method bypasses the artist fields entirely, so checking Klayton’s artist page won’t show the tracks that you added these tags to.